get involved to join our fight
why i'm running
I’ve spent my career serving our country and defending democracy. My story starts with my parents, right here in Westchester County.
Both of my parents fled communist Hungary, leaving their parents behind. My mother left with nothing but a sandwich in her pocket.
They came to America knowing little English and working odd jobs to build a better life for themselves and our family.
They found a home in Chappaqua they could barely afford (even with a discount for squirrels in the attic) and for the next decades my parents struggled to provide for us. My mother often put off errands when she couldn't afford to fill the car with gas, and, when it came time for college, she worked three jobs to send me to school. My parents taught me and my three siblings to buckle down, get to work, and succeed. By following their lead, I was able to go from a child of Hungarian refugees to earning a Ph.D. and serving the first African-American president of the United States.
My life’s mission has been to protect and defend the country that gave my family political freedom and gave me an equal opportunity to succeed. I’ve brought my passion for America to serving President Obama and representing the United States Department of Defense and Congress worldwide.
After I left the Obama administration, I campaigned to help elect Secretary Clinton as our next President. When Russians interfered in that election, I was among the first to sound the alarm and urge Congress to take action. And I haven’t let up since then.
To continue defending our country and the promise of the American Dream, I’m running to represent New York’s 17th District in Congress. I’m running because:
- I believe defending our country means protecting our environment and combating the catastrophic threat of climate change.
- I believe defending our country means protecting a woman’s right to choose.
- I believe defending our country means protecting our elections from foreign interference, and protecting our democracy from threats both abroad and here at home.
- I believe defending our country means preventing domestic and international terrorism and preventing gun violence.
- And I believe defending our country means restoring the promise of the American Dream - the opportunity for everyone to succeed.
I chose the Statue of Liberty as the symbol of my campaign as a tribute to my parents and every other immigrant who seeks the American Dream. So many families, like my own, have sought a better life here in New York. I will stand up to President Trump to keep that dream alive.
If you believe too, join us.